Oct 29, 2012

Vichy Aera Teint Pure Fluid Foundation.....A Review

Finally, I am writing the review I had meant to post all Summer. What kept me from actually doing that is the fact that I didn't have a good foundation brush. And because I wanted my review to be complete with my opinions on various methods of application I waited until I found one. So here is my review on the Vichy Aera Teint Pure Fluid Makeup.




My other options when I bought this foundation were the Toleriane Corrective Fluid foundation by La Roche Posay and the Revlon Photoready Makeup in liquid form. Now what made me chose the Vichy foundation over the other two was the fact that the Toleriane one was too tick in my opinion and the Revlon one had reflecting particles which looked like shimmers and I definitely do not want my entire face to shimmer. In few words this wasn't a purchase I fell in love with but it was the best fragrance free option available and easily accessible. And although I hate buying something I am not completely in love with, there are times where one has to do it. This was my case since I really needed a foundation. 


                               





Initially when I bought this foundation at the beginning of Summer (the first week of June) and I started using it, I wasn't really pleased. I thought it was too runny, felt greasy on my face and I had to use powder to set it (which I normally don't like to do since it makes me look cakey). Plus it didn't last well on my skin, the colour went darker because of oxidization and made me look very shiny. In few words I didn't like the foundation. But there were many reasons behind that quick judgement and none was the foundation's fault. First this Summer was one of the hottest in Malta. We had various heatwave periods and that was one reasonable excuse for the foundation not performing to its best. Another important reason for the foundation not feeling good on my skin was my skincare. At that time I was using the QV Face moisturizing day cream with SPF 30, which although great for Winter when my skin gets dry, wasn't working well during Spring when my skin gets normal. Although my initial review was negative, today my opinions on this foundation are definitely different and way more positive.


Natural finish with sponge application


Now that the weather is no longer hot and sticky, and also thanks to my new face moisturizer I can really say I am starting to like this foundation. And the result I am getting from it is exactly what I initially expected when I bought it. After researching the various options online I had built an opinion on this foundation: a fragrance free liquid foundation which was easy to apply, didn't crease or cake and gave a natural glowy look which could be increased in coverage by applying a second layer and powdering to achieve a more matte finish. This is exactly what this foundation does for me. And if you are wondering which is the moisturizer which is helping the foundation perform well, keep your eyes open since its review will be coming soon on my blog.

Sponge application in sun light


This foundation costs between 17 and 19 euros where I live. So it's much cheaper than the foundations I reviewed in the past like the Sisley one as well as the Guerlain and Makeup Forever foundations. The packaging is really nice. It comes in a glass bottle with a white and transparent plastic pump and cap. Since a little goes a long way it will definitely last me long. I only use one small pump and a little extra when I want a natural finish and 2 pumps when I want more coverage.  It does a good job at evening out my skin and covering redness and any small imperfections. It doesn't however cover my nose pigmentation. Although very liquid, it does blend well and doesn't look too shiny on my face. On the packaging this foundation claims to last for 12 hours. Since I haven't had it that long on my face I cannot say if it does. The maximum amount of time I wore it was between 7 and 8 hours and I must say it lasted well and I had not powdered it. It's no longer oxidizing on my skin and the shade (Opal 12)  is nice although not a perfect match for my skin. The best foundations in terms of colour for me were the Sisley and Makeup Forever ones. I like the fact that it is fragrance free and that its scent doesn't bother me. It doesn't water my eyes and nose that much and it did not break me out.


Higher coverage application method


In terms of application I have tried three different methods: using my fingers, with a sponge and with my new Body Shop foundation brush. Although applying it with my fingers on its own gives a good result it's not my preferred method. When I want a more natural look I apply this foundation with my fingers and then blend it with a moist foundation sponge wedge using a patting motion. Since the sponge absorbs some of the product, the result is a lighter coverage which looks dewy and glowy. This application is therefore great for people with dry skin or for those who like a more dewy finish. If I am looking for more coverage on a specific day my preferred method of application is to apply one small pump of foundation using my fingers and then blend it with my brush using a patting motion. Repeating this process twice gives me a nice coverage. The key for a good higher coverage result with this foundation is to moisturize dry patches well, apply small quantities and blend with a good foundation brush using a patting motion. My least preferred application method is using my Body Shop foundation brush using the normal brushing motion. This method of application leaves my face looking streaky and doesn't blend the foundation at all.


Applied with body shop foundation brush

I hope you don't mind the long post but I wanted to give you a full review of this product. I am going to conclude with my usual pros and cons.

PROS
1. Fragrance free and its scent doesn't bother me
2. Didn't cause me allergic reactions or break me out
3. The shade Opal 12 matches my skin pretty closely
4. Gives me both natural coverage and higher coverage using different methods of application (see above)
5. The price is reasonable and much lower than many other high end foundations
6. The foundation lasts long as you only need one or 2 small pumps
7. This foundation lasts well for several hours (even without powdering) on my skin
8. It doesn't oxidize unless it is too hot or your face is too oily
9. After blending it well it doesn't look cakey or as wearing too much makeup
10. The packaging is nice.

CONS
1. Not suitable for very hot and sticky weather
2. Not suitable for people who have very oily skin
3. Doesn't cover pigmentation well
Have you tried this foundation? What is your opinion about it?

STAY FAB

0 comments:

Post a Comment