Aug 9, 2012

What to cook with Rye Flour?....RYE FLOUR PIZZA

Rye flour is the latest addition to my healthy eating. For the past few months, I have been trying to eat as less white grains as possible by replacing them with healthier new grains I had never tried before. After polenta, chickpea flour is now the turn of rye flour. It's funny to think about how I used to think this dark bread would taste so horrible until few months ago. And now the same bread I was afraid of trying has become my favourite. I love its strong but at the same time sweet taste and the fact that it is so so filling. Because I liked rye bread so much I decided to try rye flour. 


Rye flour is very filling because it's packed with proteins and fibre. Plus it has many B vitamins as well as a good amount of iron, calcium and zinc. It is also a good source of prebiotics which help prevent cancer. By eating rye flour you are also reducing your chances to get type 2 diabetes and heart problems. This great whole grain can also help reducing cholesterol production and stabilise blood sugar levels.

NUTRITIONAL INFO FOR RYE FLOUR (per 100g):
Energy                       304 kcal
Protein                         7.6g
Carbohydrates           64.1g
Of which Sugars          1.6g
Fat                              1.9g
Of which saturates       0.3g
Fibre                        13.4 g
Sodium                     0.05g

Here is a good website if you want to know more about rye flour. And below is my rye pizza recipe.

RYE FLOUR PIZZA


For the Crust:
I used 80g Good Earth Rye Flour. I added salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon olive oil. And then slowly added about 125ml of water at room temperature. I mixed well until I got a smooth not too thick consistency. I let it stand for few hours before baking.

To bake the crust, I sprayed my pizza pan with low fat olive oil cooking spray and then placed the empty pan in the oven to heat for few seconds. Then I took the pan out and poured my rye flour mix in it. I let it cook on each side for about 10 to 15 minutes on  the lowest level of my oven at high heat. Make sure to check it though so it doesn't burn.

For the topping: Tuna Salmon Egg Salad
After taking the crust our of the oven, I topped it with sliced cheese, a mix of lettuce and cucumbers and an egg, tuna mayo salad. I finished my rye pizza with salmon paste. I really enjoyed the crust and the topping.

This is a great cold Summer Pizza to enjoy on your own or with your loved ones both at home and outdoors. 

STAY FAB

More healthy pizzas:

0 comments:

Post a Comment