Sep 6, 2012

My tips for INDIGESTION & HEARTBURN

Since I have turned my eating upside down and started eating more healthy I have been experiencing indigestion and heartburn more often than usual. One would think that by eating healthy you should be less at risk of getting indigested, and in fact this is correct. However, when you start eating more healthy and give up any form of fast food, candies, chocolates, crisps and most unhealthy pastries and cakes as well as fried food, oily and fatty food as I did, your stomach gets used to eating more simple clean food. So when you happen to eat something which is either less healthy than usual or simply more heavy either because spicy or more difficult to digest, the stomach cannot take it and that's why you get indigested and experience heart burn. 



Few days ago, I had a healthy curry which was however a little too spicy for what I am used to. I think I also ate a little bit more than my normal portion. And the result was that I felt awful. The worst part is that when I get indigestion, I also get nose congestion which causes both my nostrils and throat to get inflamed. And although my indigestion might pass withing few days, my congestion lasts at least one whole week. Anyway, below are my tips to fight indigestion and reduce heart burn. I discovered these during these past few days and I was very happy about how much they worked for me. So I hope they work for you too if you are experiencing indigestion.


  1. The first thing I do when I feel indigested is to drink more water. It is however important not to drink too much all at once. Too much water might cause bloating and make your indigestion even worse. However, you want to keep yourself hydrated.
  2. The second thing I like to do is to relax, may be lie for few minutes on my bed. Lying down makes my stomach feel less full and my heartburn feel less uncomfortable.
  3. The third step I took to ease my heartburn is to do 20 minutes of yoga. Here are the workouts I followed Yoga for Indigestion and Yoga for Sinus Congestion. I also found this article very useful. I didn't think few minutes of yoga could make me feel so much better.
  4. I initially thought I should skip my dinner and have breakfast the next day so that my stomach could empty itself and feel less indigested. However, if I do not eat I cannot sleep and I also feel very weak. So I just had cornflakes with soy milk, a small portion.
  5. And I drank 2 cups of bay leaf infusion. Since I was a little kid, I always found this to help. I would ask my mum to make me some every time I felt a little bit fuller than usual. And it would help me immediately. Even this time with a strong indigestion, the bay leaf infusion helped a lot. I had it again the next day and it continued helping me.
  6. The final step is to eat small and light meals with foods which are easily digested for the following few days. I am still eating light and smaller portions and this is helping me not get indigested all over again. Sometimes, when you get indigestion even a slightly larger meal during the following days can start the indigestion all over again and even make it worst.
  7. Meals which I find easily digested are cornflakes and soy milk; toasted soft bread with soy butter and turkey ham;  buckwheat noodles with canned tuna and mixed veggies dressed with lemon juice, lemon pepper and olive oil. For the evening I am dividing my dinner into 2 parts, one I have it around 5 and the other around 8 o clock followed by some bay leaf infusion. If you follow my blog you would know that my dinner consists of fruit, cereal and milk because I have my main meal at lunch time and prefer to have a snack in the evenings.
Let me know in the comments below which are your tips to fight indigestion.

STAY FAB

0 comments:

Post a Comment