Jun 28, 2012

Summer Omelette with healthy toppings.....for Today's Lunch

Eggs are one of those food with which I have always had a love hate relationship. There were periods in which I would feel sick thinking about them and other periods like this year when I would want to eat them all the time. Eggs are also one of those foods which people, especially the healthy eaters, fear because of the high cholesterol levels it contains. However, as with anything else in life, moderation is the key. So if you like eggs you can definitely enjoy them every now and then. Moreover eggs are packed with important nutrients like proteins, antioxidants, iron and many vitamins. Ideally you should limit egg consumption to not more than one a day since one egg has about 186 mg of cholesterol and we are only allowed a maximum of 300mg of cholesterol per day. However, eating 2 at once (like in this recipe) is not going to kill you especially if eggs are the main source of cholesterol in your diet. In my case, I like to eat not more than 4 eggs per week. At times I might eat 2 eggs at once in the form of an omelette (like in this recipe) while others I might have one egg boiled with my salads. Apart from baking and breading, I rarely use eggs in cooking. I also eat almost no cheese and meat so eggs are definitely my main source of cholesterol. Now that you know how you should be eating your eggs you can also use the following recipe the next time you are craving eggs. Make yourself a Summer Omelette with lots of veggies!


Ingredients

  • 2 eggs seasoned with salt and pepper
  • shredded carrots
  • 1 slice cheese
  • 3 Chinese rice wrappers
  • few tomato halves (I used 3)
  • 2 cups frozen green beans 
  • salt and pepper
  • light soy sauce (optional)
Preparation
  1. Cook your basic omelette by beating the seasoned eggs and pouring them in a non stick skillet.
  2. Boil the green beans and when ready season with salt, pepper, oregano, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
  3. Top your omelette with the cheese, the carrots and tomatoes.
  4. Serve the omelette with the green beans and the rice wrappers.
  5. I cut my  rice wrappers into halves (to get 6 pieces in all) and wet them in hot water until very soft. I dipped them into some soy sauce.
ENJOY & STAY FAB

0 comments:

Post a Comment