May 23, 2013

How to choose sunglasses

Before starting reading this post, I would suggest you to read my previous post, Sunglasses for High Myopia. There I shared all the essential information which in my opinion one should know before starting looking for a pair of sighted sunglasses. This post, on the other hand, is going to be about my experience while searching for the best pair of prescription sunglasses, hoping to give you practical tips on how to choose sunglasses.

I have actually never owned a pair of prescription sunglasses. And the few sunglasses I owned (non prescription ones) were very cheap, since I didn't see the point in spending a lot on a pair of sunglasses which would not allow me to see. While I have always liked sunglasses on other people, I always thought it wasn't something for me as I found the idea of switching between 2 pairs of eye glasses (regular and sunglasses) frustrating and time consuming. During the past years, however, the sun started disturbing my eyes considerably and it was last Fall that I finally realized I needed to invest in a pair of good sunglasses. I think part of the realization was also the fact that the right sunglasses would help complete my outfits and make them more fashionable. While shopping with my husband, I spotted a pair of sunglasses and I asked the sales assistant to kindly let me try them. As soon as I put them on I fell in love with them and I started asking myself why on earth I hadn't bought a pair before then. I left the shop, several months passed and yet I was still thinking about those sunglasses. But as you know, I am not an impulsive buyer especially when it comes to bigger purchases. So I needed time to think about it and time to find better options, if available. Winter came and I didn't feel the need to buy the sunglasses at that time as the sunlight wasn't as strong and as frequent as during the warmer months. 

At the beginning of this Spring, I decided it was the time to start looking for a pair of prescription sunglasses and so I did. I looked around and actually visited 12 different eye wear shops. I tried so many sunglasses I couldn't count them. But if I were to guess, I would say that I definitely tried at least a 100 pair of sunglasses before choosing the one pair I wanted. I asked many questions about which style would suit me better, what style would be more appropriate considering my prescription and which lenses both in terms of index and brand were the best choice for me. I took notes and asked for quotations. I carried my camera and took pictures of me wearing my favourite picks. I even asked to have the thickness of the lens calculated for a specific frame and shown to me on paper or on a computer screen. This search process took less than 2 weeks from start to end but it only took 6 different days to look around eye shops. For impulsive buyers this might be crazy. But for anyone with high myopia needing to find the best pair of sunglasses I think it's worth it. 


Designer sunglasses
Some of the frames I tried


To help you with your prescription sunglasses purchase, I want to give you a list of tips which you might want to follow when shopping for your new sunglasses....

1. Know your prescription - so either take the latest one when shopping or make an appointment to have your eyes tested.
2. Visit as many eye care stores as possible and try as many sunglasses as possible
3. Keep in mind that you can't go for wrap around styles or frames with one big lens (like the shield eye frames)
4. If you have high myopia, like me, you will have difficulty seeing yourself well in the mirror when trying sunglasses. Carry a camera with you and don't be afraid to ask the sales assistant if you can take pictures of yourself while wearing the sunglasses. I never though about this until a sales person suggested to take a picture. Every shop I asked had no problem in letting me do the same. Obviously they understand you cannot see well with your glasses and they know you need to be sure you like the frames before buying them. Seeing yourself in a picture while wearing your own glasses is the only way to know which frames look better on you. 
5. Ask advice on the best sunglasses for your face shape, skin tone, and also the size of your face and how petite or big is your frame unless you know these things already. Even if you do, asking for someone else opinion can help. 
6. Go for plastic frames and plastic lenses.
7. Consider the thickness of the frame on the sides. The thicker the plastic on each side the easier will be to hide your thick lenses and hence the smaller the position of lens which will be sticking out.
8. Take someone you trust with you. I took my husband. 
9. In every shop you go, try to find one frame you like the most and ask for a quotation on the lenses. This will help you compare the various shops from a price point of view. 
10. When asking for a quotation, ask for the various options with regard to your lenses and in particular about the index they can use to make them as thin as possible. Once you ask many shops, you will start realizing which shop is more professional, which shop offers you the best option in terms of thinner lenses at a good price and best possible quality.
11. Ask about warranty. Many high index lenses have a warranty and since they are so expensive this is  a really important factor.
12. Do not visit too many shops in one day. This will confuse you and you won't be likely to remember everything you need to make your decision.
13. Take notes, if you need to, after you leave each shop.
14. Once you are home, take the time to look at the pictures you took. See how each frame looks on your face in terms of style, size and colour.
15. Show these images to a family member or friend if you can't decide or if you want to know their opinion. 
16. Make a collage of all your favourite frames and put that image as your screen background.
17. Take few days to decide which is the right frame for you.
18. Ask the stores you prefer to put away your favourite sunglasses for you. Some of them can save them for you  for up to 1 week. 
19. Once you have decided, do not lose time and go secure your sunglasses by leaving a deposit.
20. Try not to second guess your decision and be positive about your choice. 


favourite sunglasses
Favoourite Sunglasses


In my next post, PART 3, I will be sharing with you my new sunglasses and telling you why I chose them over my favourite pair. So, while it's too late to ask you for advice on which sunglasses should i buy, you can still leave your comments and let me know which is your favourite of the above sunglasses on my face.


STAY FAB

0 comments:

Post a Comment