Jan 25, 2013

Few tips for the cold season.

If you have read my post "How to cope with Raynauds", you already know I have been suffering from chilblains for half of my life. Because chilblains are essentially the result of very cold arms and feet, the key to avoiding or reducing them is to stay warm. Since this is a main concern for most people in Winter, especially in countries where temperatures get very low, here are my tips on staying warm.



1. Train your body to stay warm. This is in my opinion the most important way to get warm and stay so, even when it's very cold around you. If Tibetan monks can melt snow and dry cold wet sheets while naked and outdoors (through tummo meditation), we can at least learn to keep ourselves warm while wearing many layers and being indoors. If this sounds obvious to you, you should note that is not as easy for everyone, especially for people with poor circulation. Because good circulation, and therefore good blood flow throughout the body, is the key to getting warm and staying warm you must work on improving your circulation. The best way to do so is to stay active (by exercising daily or at least 5 times a wee) and moving throughout the day. Another way to train your body to warm itself, is to allow it the time to do so. If your feet are so cold they feel frozen, do not cover them up. Instead, try moving around and massaging them until the blood flows to that area and they start to heat up on their own. From experience, I can say that no matter how many pair of socks you wear (or sweaters, pants and gloves), if your body doesn't help itself warming up, the extra socks will do nothing. You can also have a warm drink (not steaming hot or boiling) to help your body warm up on its own.


2. Have a warm drink with every meal, especially if you like to have cereal with refrigerated milk every morning and night like I do.

3. Wear warm clothes, like wool and other thick and fuzzy fabrics.

4. Layer up, both at home and to go out.

5. Wear a thermal vest. I like to wear a thermal short sleeve vest under 2 tick sweaters when at home. I also wear one under my pygiama.

6. I wear ugg boots with one pair of socks at home.

7. I get in bed early (around 8 or 9) and watch a film or read a book.



8. I take a cup of hot water with lemon and honey when I go to bed. This helps me warm up and stay warm for the rest of the night.

9. I wear a housecoat in the morning while I have breakfast.

10. I dry my hair after washing it.

If you have other tips on how to stay warm, leave them in the comment section below.

STAY FAB

0 comments:

Post a Comment